Painting is prepping, so prepare your patience.

When introduced as a painter I often hear a similar complaint from do-it-yourself homeowners. “I don’t mind painting but I hate to prep.” I inwardly smile at this because the actual application of paint makes up about 20% of the work. The other 80% is the prep & clean up. In short, painting IS prep. But preparation doesn’t have to be a daunting task. There are tools and tricks that will simplify the process. Here are 3 tips that will make short work of the prep work and get you painting faster.

  1. Invest in a hand masker.
    Nothing will help you cover items you don’t want paint on like a 3M Hand-masker. This device efficiently applies tape and paper at once. With paper sizes of 6, 9 or 12” it covers the perimeter in no time.
  2. Don’t trust the tape
    After watching a 3M commercial for Blue tape, DIYers often rush out to buy the product and are shocked when their lines don’t look like the lines in the commercial. The truth is, even with the best tape, paint often bleeds behind it leaving a line that isn’t always straight. Use an angle brush to “cut in” up close to the tape. Less paint on the tape means less paint under the tape too.
  3. Select the right roller nap
    Each roller cover has a “nap” to it. Nap is available in various lengths, so use the one recommended for the surface you’re painting. In general, the longer the nap, the more paint it will hold. For most textured walls, a 3/8” nap will hold enough paint, while not excessively spitting as you roll.
    Remember the old saying, “If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.” A little bit of prep goes a long way and will yield sharper, cleaner results that you can admire for years to come.

Andy Roe
Roe Painting, Inc.

Posted in